Need to reboot HomeOS to get devices back once lost connectivity

Developer
Jul 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM
According to my findings, HomeOS webcam driver and CameraViewer app doesn't handle a scenario in which if we lost connectivity with our webcam.

Scenario: I have added a USB webcam device in HomeOS using add device section and installed CameraViewer application, I can see video stream in the app. After that I unplugged the webcam from HomeHub, the video stream stopped on the last frame. I plugged in the webcam again but the stream didn't continue, in order to resolve the issue I have to restart (reboot) the HomeOS platform with webcam plugged in.

Now, I rebooted HomeOS platform while the webcam is not plugged in. In camera viewer app it showed me error "No Cameras installed, add some using Add Devices", I plugged in the webcam and refresh the page but webcam didn't appear. In add device section webcam is not showing as it has already been installed and to get it working I have to restart the HomeOS platform with webcam plugged in.

Consider a scenario in which we are conducting a study and somehow devices lost connectivity with HomeHub. In order to get the devices back in HomeOS platform we have to reboot HomeOS. Shouldn't we provide some abstraction layer to mitigate this issue?
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM

You are right; the current behavior is not ideal. We’ll look into fixing it.

Cheers

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Zohaib - This change was pushed out yesterday with the latest update. Cheers.